Urgent: British Nationals – Steps to take before 5th October, 2021

If you are a British national living in France:

Without dual nationality of another EU country
Not married to a French national
…… then read on!

Due to the backlog of processing applications for WARP (Withdrawal Agreement Residence Permit) Carte de Sejour and then printing and issuing each each Carte de Sejour, the French government have delayed the date by which it is mandatory to carry your WARP Carte de Sejour.

British and their family members already settled in France before 1st January 2021, are beneficiaries of the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the EU and may continue to stay in France without a residence permit and work there without a work permit until 1st January 2022.

Possession of a residence permit or visa will be mandatory from 1st January 2022. You have to until midnight on 4th October to apply for a WARP Carte de Sejour.

There were rumours that the application process available via the internet would remain open until the end of the year. This appears now not to be the case. On-line application process will close on October 4th.

The text of the announcement in english here
The text of the announcement in french is here

British Nationals: Steps to take before 5th October to stay resident in France
Read More »Urgent: British Nationals – Steps to take before 5th October, 2021


The Association ‘Bordeaux British Community‘ is by statute a social organisation and by statute does not lobby, comment or otherwise be involved with politics.

The BBC is also a member of the Association The British in France which is based in Paris.

We also receive the newsletter from the British Embassy in Paris.

BREXIT News from the British Embassy in Paris

The British Embassy publishes a newsletter which provides regular updates on Brexit and other items affecting British Nationals resident in France.

To subscribe to receive the newsletter, please click here

To read the current and past issues of the newsletter, please click here

Online Residency Application

For information on the online process to apply for residency and the associated document requirements, please click here

Read More »BREXIT News

Driving in France

This guidance for UK licences also applies to licences from Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man.

You cannot renew or replace your UK licence if you are resident overseas.

If you live in France and need an International Driving Permit (IDP), in addition to your UK licence to drive in another country, apply for one with the Agence Nationale des Titres Sécurisés (ANTS).

More information on how to apply is on the Interior Ministry website (in French).

For information on driving in France, read the guidance on:

If you are visiting France, and have a valid UK  licence, you do not need an International Driving Permit (IDP). 

Check when your licence was first issued. If you have a photocard licence, check the earliest driving entitlement date on the back of your licence to see when it was first issued. All paper licences that did not come with a plastic photocard were issued before 1 January 2021.

If your UK driving licence was first issued before 1 January 2021

Your UK licence is recognised in France for as long as it is valid. Check the expiry date on the front of your plastic photocard licence. If you have not been issued with a plastic photocard, you can continue to use your paper licence for as long as it is valid. Paper licences are usually valid until you are 70 years old.

If your UK licence has expired, or has less than 6 months’ validity remaining, you must exchange it for a French licence. You do not need to take a driving test. When your application is accepted you will receive your ‘attestation de dépôt sécurisée’. You can use this document to drive in France until you receive your new licence.

You can only exchange your licence if it is due to expire within 6 months. If you do not have a valid reason to request an exchange, your application will be rejected.

If you need to exchange your UK licence, apply online with the Agence Nationale des Titres Sécurisés (ANTS).

Read More »Driving in France


If you settled in France after the 1 January 2021, you must apply for a residence permit for non-European nationals at your local prefecture.

British nationals settled in France after 1 January 2021 are subject to the provisions of the common law, except when they are members of the family of a British national settled in France before that date.

All British nationals and family members over 18 who wish to settle in France for a stay of more than three months must hold a residence permit.

Minors under 18 years of age are exempt from this obligation unless they need a residence permit to work.

A residence permit must be issued directly in the prefecture.

See more here:


Important Information for British Residents in France

Please read on if you are a British national resident in France and:

  • Without dual French and British nationality
  • With or without a legal relationship/partnership with a French national
  • With or without an existing ‘old style’ residency card

We received an email (ref below) on 21st December from the British Embassy in Paris with a request to distribute to our membership.  The Embassy email was sent to all partner associations in France who have a membership which includes British nationals with a request to distribute to our membership.

From: British Embassy France <>
Date: 21 December 2020 at 19:13:30 GMT
Subject: Important Information for UK Nationals in France
Whatever the outcome of the UK-EU negotiations, UK Nationals in France will need to take action to continue living in France, and to maintain their access to rights and

We are therefore encouraging you all to take action now to ensure that you can continue to live in France after 31 December 2020.




Check the Living in France Guide where you can find the latest information and sign up for email updates:

Follow the British Embassy Paris social media channels (@BritishinFrance; @UkinFrance on Twitter; Brirish Embassy Paris on Facebook or search @UkinFrance on Facebook)

Sign up to the newsletter Voisins-voices: A Newsletter for the British Community in France

Other Assistance

In addition to the above, we previously posted an article here which is may be useful for those applying for residency.

The Embassy have also funded several organisations to provide a ‘help service’. The Anglican Diocese in Europe is funded by the British Embassy to provide help to British residents in Nouvelle Aquitaine. Full details to get assistance are here


Read More »Important Information for British Residents in France