Useful Information

Visiting UK having had different COVID Vaccinations

The UK government has updated its travel rules for England to say that people arriving who have had doses of two different Covid vaccines are not considered fully vaccinated. It means they will not be able to skip quarantine if travelling from amber countries such as France.

The UK added the clarification to its website on August 10. This site applies to England; the other nations of the UK usually follow the same rules, but their travel information sites do not mention the rule today.

France, by contrast, considers a person fully vaccinated if they have had two doses of different vaccine types and it is not unusual in France for people to have been vaccinated with different Covid vaccine types. 

This is especially the case as the AstraZeneca Covid vaccine was initially offered to everyone before being limited to only those aged over 55.

It meant that some people in France got a first dose of AstraZeneca and a second dose of another vaccine, most commonly Pfizer-BioNTech. 

Read More »Visiting UK having had different COVID Vaccinations

Driving in France

This guidance for UK licences also applies to licences from Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man.

You cannot renew or replace your UK licence if you are resident overseas.

If you live in France and need an International Driving Permit (IDP), in addition to your UK licence to drive in another country, apply for one with the Agence Nationale des Titres Sécurisés (ANTS).

More information on how to apply is on the Interior Ministry website (in French).

For information on driving in France, read the guidance on:

If you are visiting France, and have a valid UK  licence, you do not need an International Driving Permit (IDP). 

Check when your licence was first issued. If you have a photocard licence, check the earliest driving entitlement date on the back of your licence to see when it was first issued. All paper licences that did not come with a plastic photocard were issued before 1 January 2021.

If your UK driving licence was first issued before 1 January 2021

Your UK licence is recognised in France for as long as it is valid. Check the expiry date on the front of your plastic photocard licence. If you have not been issued with a plastic photocard, you can continue to use your paper licence for as long as it is valid. Paper licences are usually valid until you are 70 years old.

If your UK licence has expired, or has less than 6 months’ validity remaining, you must exchange it for a French licence. You do not need to take a driving test. When your application is accepted you will receive your ‘attestation de dépôt sécurisée’. You can use this document to drive in France until you receive your new licence.

You can only exchange your licence if it is due to expire within 6 months. If you do not have a valid reason to request an exchange, your application will be rejected.

If you need to exchange your UK licence, apply online with the Agence Nationale des Titres Sécurisés (ANTS).

Read More »Driving in France