The Gite is located in the heart of a historic vineyard near Perpignan and the Mediterranean comprising:
- 5 double rooms with unique decorations and private bathroom
- 2 suites on the ground floor overlooking the garden
- Large living and dining room overlooking a terrace and a flowery garden.
- One fully equipped kitchen gives you the opportunity to cook but also to receive a ready meal. (on request)
- Relaxation area with whirlpool, sauna and exercise bike.
Full details of the gite are on their website here
Less than a 20 minute drive to Perpignan, former capital of the Kings of Majorca and the Counts of Roussillon. Perpignan changed hands repeatedly during the medieval period until it finally became French territory with the Treaty of the Pyrenees of 1659. Too far from the coast to become a port, the town developed into a cloth-making centre by the early middle ages. Perpignan’s Top 5 are:
- Palais des Rois de Majorque. The number one sight in Perpignan has been the focus of the town’s success and growth over the centuries. Originally used as a king’s residence during the twelfth to fourteenth centuries, today it’s really only the gardens and the courtyard of this imposing citadel that are worth a visit.
- Saint-Jean quarter. For an idea of Perpignan’s prosperous past take a wander through the network of narrow lanes in this district and take in the splendour of the fourteen and fifteenth century mansions and stately homes which make up this atmospheric part of the town.
- Cathédrale Saint-Jean. Functioning as Perpignan’s cathedral since 1602, the exterior walls of this imposing structure are particularly noteworthy: layers of stones from the local river bed have been squeezed in-between the brick.
- Jardin de Sant-Vicens. These gardens on Rue Sant Vicens are not only full of exotic orange trees and Oleanders, but they’re also the place to look for ceramic pots and textiles which are on sale here.
- Arrive Monday 25th September and depart Friday 29th September (ie Four nights)
- Seven rooms with private bathrooms are available (five double rooms and two suites)