High in the Sky ! Do you have a head for heights?
We have organised a visit to the Pont Chaban-Delmas, an architectural feat of innovative engineering and named after a former Bordeaux Mayor and former Prime Minister of France, Jacques Chaban-Delmas.
The bridge comprises a central lift span weighing 2,600 tonnes which is 120 m long and 45 m wide with four 77 m tall columns and with a lift time of 15 minutes. The bridge is the seventh to span the Garonne River. It is an urban bridge ensuring improved traffic fluidity while at the same time allowing the passage of cruise ships towards Bordeaux. It also acts as a springboard for districts under development.
On the visit you will see:
- The panoramic view from the top of the columns offering an unobstructed view over the City of Bordeaux
- The moving parts of the span
- The centralised control station, with dynamic information systems on various media showing the roads and highways network during lifting and lowering, as well as traffic control operations along the banks of the Garonne River from the bridgeheads
The visit will commence at the bridge control tower which is situated on the right bank of the river (ie the opposite side to the city) on Quai Brazza, where we meet our guide who will explain to us the construction and how the bridge works. Afterwards we will take an elevator up to the top of one of the four towers. Imagine the view from up there! Maybe they will raise the bridge in our honour !
The tour is free of charge and in two groups of 12 people. The first tour will start at 12.30pm and the second tour at 2pm.
Due to the timings it will not possible to combine the visit with a lunch, though you may wish to take advantage and combine it with a visit to Bordeaux.
Nearest tram is Ligne B, stop Cité du Vin. From the tram, walk across the bridge to the right bank. The control tower is visible on the left when crossing the bridge and is some 50 metres from the bridge on the other side. By car it is possible to park somewhere along the Quai des Queyries, enjoy the Jardin Botanique and a delightful walk along the right bank to the control tower.
If you wish to reserve a place then please book direct with Norma B or online below and state your preference for the time, which will strictly be on a first come first served basis. Due Christmas holidays, Norma B may not be able to respond immediately.
Closing date to reserve your place is Friday 20th January.
When using the on-line booking form, please note the following:
- Do not forget to press ‘Submit’
- If you do not receive a confirmation from the Norma B then your booking has not been recorded and we ask you to contact the organiser direct for your booking confirmation