Biscarrosse was the centre of the French seaplane industry, and in its heyday provided direct flights to New York !
After a break of four years, Biscarrosse is again hosting a major aviation event at the old seaplane base : ‘Flying Spirit’ featuring displays by around 30 classic aircraft, including the Rafale (the French competitor to the Eurofighter)
Entry is free this year. For details of the event, please see the website here
Our Rendezvous and Picnic
We must expect it to be busy, and to avoid the crowds we propose meeting at 12.00 sharp for a ‘tranquil’ picnic at the Petit Lac.
We will then walk less than 1 Km along the canal to reach the event at the southern lake at Latecoere, which has the usual festival facilities (aviation and other stalls, refreshments etc).
Please bring all you need for a picnic ! Phil aims to ‘reserve’ the picnic tables by the lake !
Picnic and Meeting Location
GPS: 44.396591, -1.182885 ( N 44°23’47.7″ W 1°10’58.4″ )
Map: Please click here for a map
Directions from Bordeaux:
- Take A63 from Bordeaux and after 28Km turn off onto A660 signed to Arcachon
- Turn off after 5 km, onto D216 signed to Biscarrosse
- In Mios turn sharp right at the first roundabout then straight over the next one
- After 25km go through Sanguinet (over 4 roundabouts including a large one surrounding the town hall)
- After a further 12 Km you reach Biscarrosse
- Go straight over the first and second roundabouts, and continue straight into the centre (over an absurd number of speed bumps !) past the Marie and the church
- Take the second turn right after the church, signed to Dechetterie and Cimiterie ! This road becomes Avenue de Montbron
- You will cross the canal (joining Biscarrosse’s 3 lakes) and then look out for the lakeside car park on your right opposite the cemetery
- Note the car park has an intimidating 2.1m width restriction, if your car is wider, or you don’t trust your judgement ! you can park opposite in the Cimiterie car park
- Note ignore any signs for ‘Hydravion’ (which direct to special parking, buses and crowds)
Please reserve direct with Phil C or book online.
When using the on-line booking form, please note the following:
- Do not forget to press ‘Submit’
- If you do not receive a confirmation from the organiser within 48 hours then your booking has not been recorded and we ask you to contact the organiser direct for your booking confirmation