This Irish owned Factory, quite a prominent landmark for those travelling between Bordeaux and Arcachon, converts pine trees (there are a lot in the area!) into cellulose and onwards into recyclable kraft paper. This is used for brochures and packaging. The Factory is considered ‘state of the art’ and also is one of the largest in Europe, and produces nearly 1500 tons a day.
They take PR very seriously and provide conducted tours around the complex for over 3000 visitors annually. Our tour will be in fluent English. Click: here for the Smurfit Kappa website.
Smurfit Kappa Cellulose du Pin:
Smurfit Kappa Cellulose du Pin is one of the most important European paper manufacturing units operating round the clock to produce kraft paper for the production of packaging from corrugated cardboard. Production is 1365 tons per day and 520,000 tons of paper for corrugated board are produced each year, of which 60% for export.
Smurfit Kappa manufactures and markets Case Cover for papers: Kraftliner, Kraftliner White Top, White Top Liner Test (link Catalog Products SKG). The papers are 100% recyclable are used for the packaging of industrial and food products. Consumers can find Smurfit Kappa paper in trays for the food industry, transport packaging (auto parts, appliances, hi-tech …), or in the composition of POS …
Smurfit Kappa Cellulose du Pin actively supports community life, cultural, educational, sports, and favours a permanent contact with schools and universities. Each year, more than 3,000 visitors are welcomed onto the site.
Click: here for the Smurfit Kappa website.
Please be in the very smart Visitor Centre at 1.45.
There is a lack of restaurants nearby so we are not arranging a group lunch. We will instead have tea and cake at a boulangerie afterwards.
Free!! But as our maximum party size is limited to 15 please
- Take A63, then turn onto A660
- Take exit 2 signed to Biganos
- Cross the first roundabout
- and after dipping beneath the railway line turn left at the next roundabout, onto D650
- Within 2km, after crossing a third roundabout
- Turn left at the fourth roundabout, into Smurfit’s main entrance.
- Note that there are a number of other Smurfit but you must take this main entrance.
- A prominent flyover then takes you over the railway towards the factory
- There are signs for visitor’s parking, leading you in front of the plant
- Look out for the blue and white modern ‘wedge shaped’ Visitor Centre standing alone on your right.
Address: Allée des Fougéres, 33380 BIGANOS. Smurfit Kappa switchboard: 05 56 03 88 00